The relationship between social media and SEO isn’t clear cut… but it does exist, and it can help you rank #1 if you understand it. To be clear, social media is not a direct ranking factor for Google. It does, however, have an indirect impact on search rankings. Bing, on the other hand, has clearly stated that social IS a ranking factor for them. So, Social media may not be a ranking factor for Google, but it can amplify the ranking factors that Google DOES consider. Smart marketers can’t ignore it – they take advantage of it to boost their rankings.
Remember that links, content, and user experience are all major SEO ranking factors. Social media amplifies other ranking factors by making your content more visible. The more people that see it, the more they’ll link to it. The more people that link to your content, the more it’s seen as authoritative, and the more likely it is to appear in a good position in SERPs.
So, how do you optimize content on social networks for better SEO?
- Optimize your social media profiles. Give your profile a consistent image, a relevant bio and, where possible, a link to your website or lead funnel.
- Post updates across your social profiles regularly. This ensures that your social accounts are active. a regular posting schedule varies between platforms and your audience, so you will need to spend some time figuring out the best cadence for your business.
- Work to constantly improve your social posts. Just as with any content, you will want to optimize your social media posts with catchy titles and attractive images/videos for maximum sharing.
- Optimize your website for social sharing. You can also do some optimization to encourage visitors to share your content. It’s wise to add social sharing buttons to all your content – the easier it is to share, the more likely people will do it.
- Realize that social media and SEO isn’t a set it and forget it strategy. The best way to ensure you get the maximum SEO benefits from your social media presence is to BE present to engage with your content and amplify its success.
Social SEO isn’t a separate branch of SEO and it won’t soon be replacing traditional SEO, but social signals are becoming increasingly integrated into search engine’s algorithms. Social signals aren’t as important as backlinks, but in our view social signals are about as important as anything else. They offer opportunities to increase your visibility and connect with your audience on a different level. According to research done by influential social media blogger Jeff Bullas, 47% of Americans say Facebook is their #1 influencer of purchases. This, among many staggering statistics, make social a top priority for companies of all sizes.
- Our Social Media Marketing Experts will help you:
- Identify the best platforms for your brand.
- Set-up (or re-setup) platforms to help express your brand voice.
- Deliver engaging, creative content to build your social media community and brand.
- Create compelling offers, calls to action and promotions in order to drive your social community back to your website and ultimately convert to the next step.
- Connect your SEO program and content to a larger audience.